Camping FAQ is a list of frequently asked questions that I hope you will find useful whether you are RV camping or tent camping. We were tent campers for many years before we bought our first travel trailer. I will include FAQs for both types of camping.
What do you want to know? If you have a question that is not in the list, please contact rv-weekends.
What should I look for when choosing a camp site?
You don't always have the luxury of choosing your own camp site. Sometimes the parks are full and there are only a few sites available. However, when you do, here are a few things to look for:
- Orientation to the sun - facing west in the evenings can be hot in the summer.
- Find a level site - this will make life easier when setting up your RV.
- Location of trees - make sure they will not obstruct your awning when extended.
- Fire pit - it is better to have a fire pit that is not too close to your RV.
- Power, water, and sewer - make sure your connections will reach.
- Proximity to other camp sites - you don't want your neighbors to disturb you, and you don't want to disturb your neighbors.
Should I winterize my RV?
Yes. It is very important to winterize your RV... Water freezing in your hot water heater and water lines can be very expensive to repair.
How important is tire pressure?
Every time I depart on any RV adventure, I make sure that my tire pressure is set to the recommended levels. If I am going on an extended trip, I will check my tire pressure from time to time just to make sure that I have not picked up a nail.
Maintaining proper tire pressure on your RV, as well as your tow vehicle, is very important if you care about tire life and gas mileage. Imagine how difficult it is to peddle your bicycle when your tires are low on air. Motorized vehicles have to work harder too - the harder the engine works, the more fuel it burns.